What Can You Do if You Have Dyslexia?

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

What Can You Do if You Have Dyslexia?

Once a diagnosis of dyslexia or specific learning disability (SLD) is made, everyone can work together to develop an education plan. The goal is to teach people with dyslexia in a way that they can learn. Research has shown that these students learn best when information gets presented in small units, material is directed to all of the senses, and “over-teaching” reinforces new concepts. This is called a multi-sensory, structured language method.

Students with dyslexia are entitled to special accommodations, such as extra time on tests, front row seating, spell checkers and note takers. Adults with dyslexia can request special accommodations from their employers.

If you are the parent/teacher of a child who may have dyslexia there are several things you should do:

  • Hold a parent/teacher conference
  • Consult with the child’s doctor (rule out any visual, hearing, or emotional impairments)
  • Consult with the the principal at your school for assessments and or referrals
  • Seek a private assessment if necessary
  • Determine eligibility for school services
  • If necessary complete 504 Modification Plan or Individual Education Plan (IEP)
  • Select a therapist, tutor or Remedial Program to meet the needs of the child

Young Adults
If you think that you may have dyslexia or if you have never been properly diagnosed, there are several services and sources of information available to you.

  • Ask your high school counselor for a copy of the school’s official documentation of your learning disabilities. It is necessary for acceptance to any institution of higher education. This documentation may no longer be available once you leave high school or reach 21 years of age.
  • Ask your counselor for copies of all special assessments and tests administered for the provision of special services.
  • Keep these documents in a file or binder and retain for future use.
  • If you have not completed high school, enroll in the GED (General Educational Development) Program to obtain your high school diploma. GED information resource


  • If unemployed or underemployed, contact the Division of Vocational Rehabilitation.
  • If you do not have current documentation of your disability and you are over 22 years of age seek a private assessment with a psychologist or other professional qualified to administer IQ and other academic tests to determine if dyslexia is present.
  • If necessary, request specific accommodations from your employer. Request free handouts
  • Consider one-on-one tutoring with a multi-sensory trained tutor.
  • Educate yourself about the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA 1972)
  • Americans with Disabilities Act web site
  • College Guide & Resource List free handouts

Share this page with your friends…